This is a simplified version of the Bible story found in Luke 7:1-10, written for children to understand. For the original version, please refer to the Bible passage.
Jesus was in a town called Capernaum. There was a man called a centurion who had a servant who was very sick and about to die. This servant was very special to the centurion.
The centurion heard about Jesus and sent some important people called elders of the Jews to ask Jesus to heal his servant. The elders told Jesus that the centurion was a good man and he loved the Jewish people. The centurion even built a synagogue for them.
The elders said to Jesus, “He is worthy to have you do this for him, for he loves our nation, and he is the one who built us our synagogue.”
Jesus went with the elders to the centurion’s house. When they were close to the house, the centurion sent his friends to talk to Jesus. The friends told Jesus that the centurion didn’t want to bother him by coming to his house. The centurion said that he wasn’t worthy for Jesus to come to his house.
The centurion’s friends said to Jesus, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed. For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
Jesus was amazed by the centurion’s faith and said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant completely healed.
- It’s important to have compassion for others, even if they are different from us or hold a different position in society.
- We should always be willing to help those in need, even if it requires us to go out of our way or inconvenience ourselves.
- We should have humility and recognize that we are not deserving of God’s grace and mercy, but it is given to us out of His love for us.
- We should have faith and trust in God’s power and ability to heal and provide for us.
- The story also shows that Jesus’ power and authority are not limited by social status, race, or nationality. He is able to help anyone who comes to Him in faith.
Jesus Heals a Man with a Demon