This is a simplified version of the Bible story found in Luke 1:5-25, written for children to understand. For the original version, please refer to the Bible passage.
Once there was a man named Zechariah, who was a priest. He was married to a woman named Elizabeth, who was also from a special family of priests. They were both very good and always followed God’s rules, but they didn’t have any children because Elizabeth couldn’t have any, and they were both getting old.
One day, while Zechariah was in the temple, an angel of the Lord appeared to him! Zechariah was very scared, but the angel told him not to be afraid because God had heard his prayers.
The angel said, “Don’t be scared, Zechariah! God has heard your prayers. Your wife Elizabeth will have a baby boy, and you will name him John. He will bring you and many others so much joy, and people will be happy to see him born.
John will be special because he won’t drink wine or strong drinks, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he’s born! He will help many people in Israel turn back to God. John will be like a messenger, preparing people’s hearts to meet God. He will do this in the same way that Elijah did long ago, turning the hearts of fathers to their children, and bringing wisdom to those who were disobedient. John will make the people ready to meet the Lord!”
“But how can this be? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years”, asked Zechariah.
The angel replied, “I am Gabriel, one of God’s messengers. I was sent to bring you this good news. Because you doubted my words, you will be unable to speak until the day that these things take place.”
As Zechariah was in the temple, the people outside were waiting for him to come out. They were getting worried because he was taking so long. Finally, when Zechariah did come out, he couldn’t speak to them!
The people realized that something strange had happened, and they knew that he must have seen a vision in the temple. Zechariah tried to make signs to them, but he couldn’t talk. When his time of service was finished, he went back home.
After some time had passed, Elizabeth became pregnant just as the angel had said. She was so happy and for five months she kept herself hidden saying, “God has looked at me with kindness and has taken away the shame I felt among others.”
- God listens to our prayers and answers them in His own time.
- Even if we are old or think that something is impossible, God can still do great things through us.
- God’s plans for our lives may not always align with our own plans, but His ways are always better.
- Even when we doubt, God can still work through us and use us for His purposes.
- It’s never too late for God to do something miraculous in our lives.
- We should always be thankful for the blessings that God gives us, no matter how big or small they may seem.
- We should trust in God’s promises, even when they seem impossible or unlikely.